verizon.net and speakup fc3

Does anyone know the procedure for using speakup fc3 with a verizon dsl
modem and actually getting out onto the internet?  I got out to search
Belkin in /etc/resolv.conf and can't get the connection to connect to and
log into verizon.net.  Come to think of it, earlier rp-pppoe packages
would ask for internet service provider's information and this one
doesn't.  When a connection had been established using a high powered
windows machine here earlier I was able to use dhclient to connect but
verizon.net changed their configuration so those kind of connections don't
stay up indefinitely.