hello listers

My name is Eric and I have been here here and again.  I am back up on linux
with a new hdd.  I installed the alsa-base package with apt-get install
alsa-base.  It also installed alsa utils.  I know that I have an sonic
impact a3d pci card.  I am using the kernel 2.4.27 debian, the cd from the
speakup page.  What do I need to do now?
thanks
Eric