Stradling Cultures--was: "Re[2]: A easier way to create cd's using easy cd creator"

I'm just wanting to speak for those of us who are trying to wind ourselves into the Linux OS; I hasten to say, not by any
means for all of us--rather for those who have, used a variety of Operating Systems for work and avocational uses, but
who are not, and don't aspire to be programmers...

I used Burroughs 6300 through 6700 systems using BMD programming language and punch cards as a Computer
Science Major doing TriVariate analysis of factors related to (true) "Race Riots" in the largest 250 American Cities 1900
to 1970...  That was in 1970, and my access method was "The Bed of Nails" to read the punch cards, and a reader for
the resultant printouts...

In 1978 I used a TotalTalk with 300-baud modem to access BBS systems, and various mainframe systems to
demonstrate to employers it could be done, as a Rehab Teacher for florida's Division of Blind Services.  In 1982 I started
using a Classic VersaBraille (Cassette storage) and Apple II.  This showed proof of concept that I and 24 other blind
counselors could use these devices to get client documentation into a print form equal to or better than the handwritten
form sighted counselors gave to a Reagan reduced clerical staff thus saving our jobs...  In 1983 I ran a Summer
Computer daycamp for blind children from 4 rural counties here in Northern fL, and the next year was asked to provide
my curiculim to the State's Official Camp at the School for the blind in St. Augustine, when after the first week, they found
that the kids had locally acquired knowledge of computer use locally at their school exceeding the intentions of those
running the camp.  In 1985 I went to work for Visual Technologies supporting braille embossers and display units, in 1987
all products recruiting hiring training and supervising support staff.  That brought me to IBM PC's in addition to Apples...
Starting my own firm 6-16-89 to 12-31-02, starting with Windows 3.1 in 1991 or 92 to the present with XP...  From August
96 to the present I've worked for Kurzweil Educational Systems.  And, Bill and Janinah helped me birth my first--hopefully
there will be more--Linux Fedora box...

My point is, that I and many others, coming soon, will be wanting to learn about Linux.  Some of us were Pioneers, but
some of us are older, and lacking in energy.  Perhaps, we want to learn, but neither have the time or energy that
younger, perhaps more ambitious aggressive and energy-filled programmer types have to give toward the process of
searching for and dealving into documentation.

My point is this: to what end Linux?  If it is merely something that programmer types play with, and can look down on
those who lack their proclivities, tallents, and energetic focus, then, the OS isn't going to ever be getting the amount of
"real productive work" being done by we "dummies" "weenies" whatever you wish to call us--who because of the
necessities of work and avocational pursuits find ourselves getting things done with Windows; and if that's the case, I
might as well just FDISK and Reformat my Linux box, forget about learning this OPerating system and ever getting any
real work done with it.  However, it this is the grand OS, ye who have expertise proclaim it to be, then, for the rest of us,
it, or educational materials, and resources have to be developed and made available.

What I'm trying to say is, if this is going to be like Amateur Radio, "Do it the way we old timers did, or don't do it at all",
then, like Amateur Radio, the Hobby will become marginalized, and become less a useful tool to those whom it say it
seeks to serve.

It is one thing to encourage independent action; entirely another to escoriate those with differing capabilities, energy-
levels, proclivities, educations and working backgrounds, who are genuinely interested and seek to make use of this no
doubt powerfull and useful Operating System.  Windows pays my salary, and allows me the time and money to find out
how Linux might be of use to me and others, and the time and resources to spread the word with those with whom I
come into contact--but only if I can make progress and not be daunted and stimied by the effort, and those from whom I
was lead to believe I could seek assistance.  I read because I have nothing but untrameled ignorance of the OS and it's
tools, yet the attitudes of the self-proclaimed experts is less than welcoming of We neophytes.

W. Nick Dotson