Success!

I did it!

I have speakup installed and working and I think my blind friend will be
most pleased!

It only took three days, half a dozen debian installs, three kernel source
tree installs, a couple dozen kernel builds, about four attempts to install
the speakup software, countless configuration tweaks, and vou-lah! It works.

Thanks to all on the list who emailed me their suggestions and support.

The final combination was Debian 3 Woody, Linux Kernel version 2.4.25,
Speakup 1.5.

Jeff