Speakup Soft Speech--What's the status?

Historically, Kirk, you are correct. However, the trend is to identify language in documents. And, it's certainly possible to read any particular user's .i18n data, should they have such a file. So, there are certainly mechanisms for web documents and particular user logins. I have been working inside the W3C to argue that we need also to have clearly defined mechanisms for changing language on the fly within a document so that, for example, your French book can be en English mostly, but switch to French and back again, as it seeks to teach you French. May I note that the NISO/DAISY, next-generation ANSI Z39-86 supports this?