Installing from the Woody Disks -- How?

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Janina Sajka wrote:

> Speakup friendly and that's very nice. There are parts of the Red Hat
> installation which are tricky--such as the very critical disk
> partitioning scripts called DiskDruid. I accepted the defaults the
> Debian script chose, so I have no knowledge of how easy or hard it might
> be to customize partitioning, though.

I forget which program it uses.  It is basicly a menu driven fdisk.  It
was accessible, but I didn't like it.  I used it once or twice, and other
times just flipped to another console, and used the regular fdisk, I
believe.

> alternatives. As it happens, it doesn't bother me too much to
> systematically go through sub menus, but I imagine newbies might get
> lost.

I have found some very good reasons to go in alternative orders for
certain installations, so indeed that is a useful option.

> This raises a question: How does one get a list of all the apps
> currently installed? I know how to do that with rpm, but I don't know
> how to do it with apt, and I don't see the answer in the docs. This
> becomes annoying after doing an apt-get update where I'm told something
> like "2 packages to upgrade," but I have no notion of what ones are
> goiong to be upgraded until after saying "yes" to "go ahead and do it"
> under "apt-get upgrade." That ain't right.

There is probably a way, although I can not call it immediately to mind.
I know that you can run apt-get, in a test mode, so you can see what it
would have done, without actually having it do it.  I think I used that
once, to see what would be upgraded.

Luke