Visualy impaired

Hi all,
Not being able to look at a computer screen means that it is very difficult
to get information on linux.

I have found a 8.1 version of slackware and installing speakup sounds pretty
tricky.  Particularly as i will not be able to look at the screen.

I was wondering if there are other visualy impaired  users of speakup on
this list or if it is for developers.  I have been using jaws to look at
linux stuff most of the afternoon but the more i read the more it feels like
its harder than blind folded brain surgery.  I am  starting to think i would
be better off sticking with windows for the moment.

I have been looking at a linux newbies questions web site for slackware but
its not very accessable using jaws.

If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nigel