speakup not compiling on 2.4.19/2.4.20?

Hi all. I am attempting to upgrade to kernel-2.4.19 or 2.4.20. However,
when patching Speakup-1.00, I get a 1 out of 1 hunk failed, saving rejects
to /usr/src/linux/include/linux/miscdevice.h. And when I tried the latest
Cvs speakup, I got stat errors about not finding Speakup, and numorous
other errors. Needless to say, that version was not going to compile at
all. I guess the bottom line is, what version of Speakup is everyone using
to successfully patch the 2.4.19/2.4.20 kernels?

May you code in the power of the source,
may the kernel, libraries, and utilities be with you,
throughout all distributions until the end of the epoch.