Ooooooooh....CVS Speakup......

Hi
I just grabbed CVS speakup today, and I must say I'm extremely impressed.
The toggle keys work fine, the new windowing feature is a great starting
point (just need more windows and a way to save them per ap), and
cursoring... finally, reliable cursoring! It's even tracking reliably in
emacs, no small step. I'm very happy to see this long awaited step. Great
job, guys. Backspacing in pine and pico still doesn't speak though.
One little thing, though: I think I've found a bug. Of course, this was to
be expected. A while back, speakup and devfs (the linux device filesystem)
didn't like each other. This problem was fixed... until now. Speakup and
devfs once again have a problem, if speakup and devfs are in the kernel
together, the kernel will not boot. I'm willing to give up devfs for
speakup, but I had a hell of a time getting cvs speakup to work until I
remembered this. I figured that if the code was being rewritten this bug
may've come back, and it has. No hurry on fixing that one though. Just one
other thing: what happened to the dectalk drivers? The rates are 0-18 now,
but dectalk rates are 75-650. What's going on? I like rate 475, which
seems to lie in between rates 12 and 13. On a better note, though, speakup
with dectalk now reads words with apostrophes correctly.
One final bug: If I try to edit the characters table
/proc/speakup/characters, I get a "kernel null pointer dereference" error.
This is CVS speakup as of today, 4/24/2003.
Other than that, a damn good job! Now if only the modules could work... I
did try them, and every time I tried to load it it tole me "no such
device." Still, this is unquestionably progress, and I'm going to really
test this cvs. It's worth risking bugs just for the cursoring.