Laptops for less with serial ports

To: speakup at braille.uwo.ca
Bcc:
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Patrick:

You can still get DB9 serial ports on laptop computers. You can't
usually get them on the ultra-thin models, though. I am currently
looking myself, and a serial port is a must. I will most likely stick
with IBM and get a Thinkpad T30 this time around at around $2.6K. It has
a serial port

If I were you, I'd seriously consider an IBM reconditioned Thinkpad.
There is a 3 month waranty on them--certainly long enough to find out if
any part is bad. For example, you can get a T22, with serial port,
modem, ethernet, two pcmcia, etc. for under $1K. See:

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=-840&storeId=1&categoryId=2563444&langId=-1&dualCurrId=73

Careful. This url will almost certainly wrap.
PS: For the last two years I've bee4n running around with a Thinkpad t20
that we paid $3,500 for. Now they're selling reconditioned for about
$700. Mine is still good. It's not broken at all. That's not the reason
I'm upgrading. And, I've been all over the planet with it.