dd option at boot command line for redhat 7.3

I've read the section on booting in the Redhat 7.3 installation guide and don't
see
anything about the use of "dd" at boot when using more than one floppy. It is
mentioned as an important note in the howto for installing with speakup. Can
anybody tell me where this is discussed? I am
researching this because i need to find out whether this is necessary with a
brltty-modified installation requiring that the ramdisk be on a separate floppy.
It wasn't necessary with previous versions or redhat.
Thanks.