Installing Debian 3.0 with Speech

I'm curious.  Has any had a chance to try installing the new Debian
3.0 with the boot/root disks from the speakup FTP site?

Last Friday I began this adventure by using the boot/root disks that
Frank built with Speakup and a 2.4.17 kernel along with my CD images I
downloaded from Debian.

It did not go well:(.  First, I noticed a bunch of module dependency
problems while the root disk was being processed.  Then the installer
came up and eventually insisted that I install kernel drivers.  I
could never seem to get past that point.  When I chose CD, it kept
telling me that it failed when trying to extract the floppy image.
Somewhere along the way, I took some side trips and tried renaming the
modules directory on the temperary root image and managed to install
base software but an attempt to boot with 'rescue' and specifying my
new root partition, the machine went into a loop trying to
unsuccessfully load some modules.  I had to power off the machine to
get out of that one!

I may need to build my own boot/root disks for Debian but that is
proving to be a donting task as I of course, don't have debian
installed anywhere yet.

I know, Debian 3.0 is brand new and I don't suppose anyone has had an
opportunity or need to install it but am looking for ideas on this
one.  I thought I'd look into other distributions to broaden my
knowledge but if I can't figure this out, I may have to stick to
slackware <sigh>.

Any ideas out there?