Syslinux vs Lilo

I faintly recall some discussion on this subject before on this list
but I can't remember the outcome of it.  What are the pros and cons of
using syslinux instead of lilo? I've used lilo for years without any
real problems.  I'm looking into Debian and I notice the boot disks
have syslinux on them but the write ups for Debian imply that lilo is
the official boot loader so I'm a tad confused at the moment:).

Any ideas?