playing audio cd

For a little while now, I've been playing cds the old fashion way--use a
cd portable player or the stereo.  Finally I've delved into seeing how to
play them on the machine.  I've tried c d p, but have found that with
speech funning, the only keys I can use are left and right arrow not on
the numpad, or down arrow to eject it from the drive in order to stop it.
Is there another player that any of you find easier to work with??
Thanks.