kernel vs. alsa?

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Igor Gueths wrote:

> Hi all. I am having pretty bad luck getting beta11 of the alsa package to
> work. Beta9 work well with some quirks. I wonder what has so drastically
> changed in beta11 that makes it so much harder to get working? Anyway, my
> question is why does everyone like the alsa drivers better than the oss
> modules? One thing that I've heard is that the oss modules don't use full
> duplex. Is this correct? The only reason why I ask is because I am
> considering switching from alsa to the 2.4.18 sound modules to hopefully
> fix my problem with not being able to play wavs with trplayer.

Igor,
I am successfully using b12 here, no problems.

To answer the other point, from a personal point of view, I changed
because if I played sound and used Speakup with my external synth at the
same time, I got audio break-up, don't know why, maybe it was a kernel
scheduling issue, I don't know, but ALSA has solved it and all seems fine.
I guess this could change later today however when I try to compile
Speakfreely 7.5.

Cheers, and sorry if this has already been covered, I'm catching up after
a week offline due to isp problems.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808