interesting trplayer problem

Hi all. I obtained some wavs to see if I can play them with trplayer, but
when I do so the player seems to be playing to a muted channel. I can tell
this because when I hit ctrl+c, it says stopped at 16 seconds for example.
What channel (s) does trplayer try to use for wav output? I tried turning
up the mono, dsp, and wavetable channels. It still doesn't work. However,
I can play mp3s with trplayer perfectly, as well as play them in Freeamp.
Does anyone know if trplayer uses anything other than the pcm channel?
Thanks for any info!