got alsa working, but ...

Thanks, Kerry; very helpful comments.
except for one thing; I don't have windows on my system.
Am considering it, but I've heard so many people saying windows messed up their
irq settings and did various and sundrythings that I'm hesitant.
Another thread I may eventually start, though I supposed it gets periodically
beaten to death.
Anyway, the other comments were quite helpful.