beta kernel

Hi all. You may be aware of the problems I have been having recompiling
the alsa utils with gcc-3.0.4 and kernel 2.4.18. My question is does
anyone have the beta 2.5.3 kernel I believe it is? Does it have some
problems that affect a lot of people? I would imagine that there are some
problems considering the thing is beta. However, the only reason why I was
thinking about this is because alsa is in the standard kernel tree the
last time I heard, so I could just build the right module into my beta
kernel. The only other option I can see aside from that is to re-install
my system back to the way it was before i.e., 2.2.18pre21-idepci kernel,
and then build the whole thing over again. I am going to check the alsa
docs and see if I can't figure out why the utils won't compile, but does
anyone know why this would happen? Considering that the modules, alsa
library, and oss library all compiled fine? I know I mentioned this in a
prior post with subject "recompilation problem," but not sure if anybody
got it. Thanks in advance!