help wth a new Modem

I just replaced my ancient 33.6K Modem with a 56K PCI modem.  It's made by
somebody called Smartlink.  Everything I have read indicates it's Linux
compatible.  It even has a Linux folder on the CD with a program to set it
up for you.  Of course, the program is rather old and required that I
installed libc5 just to make it run.  The Modem apparently has a chip set
made by a company in Taiwan called Topic.  It is a TP560 chip set.  Anyway,
I ran the program after getting things set up, and it just said "Topic PCI
Modem not found." I went into Windows, which detected and installed the
modem fine.  It put it on Com5 however.  Also, it won't connect any faster
than 26,400 BPS.  Anyway, I downloaded some instructions for manually
configuring it under Linux.  Wouldn't you know that the instructions were
in a Winzip self-extractor as a MS Word Doc?  Something is wrong with this
picture!  So, the instructions say to look at /proc/pci and to type a
"setserial" line to set up a serial port to match the IRQ and I/O range of
the modem.  I tried this, and still nothing.  Here is the output from
"lspci -v" as well as the contents of /proc/ioports and /proc/pci.  I think
the big clue is the "disabled" in the lspci output, but I don't know what
to do about it.  Has anybody else dealt with these modems and gotten one to
work?  I really believe it to be a hardware modem because Windows shows the
message "no driver files are required or have been loaded for this device."

Here is the output from "lspci -v."

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC [Natoma] (rev 02)
	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32

00:01.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II]
(rev 01)
	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 IDE [Natoma/Triton
II] (prog-if 80 [Master])
	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
	I/O ports at fcf0 [size=16]

00:13.0 Communication controller: TOPIC SEMICONDUCTOR Corp: Unknown device 0000
	Subsystem: TOPIC SEMICONDUCTOR Corp: Unknown device 0000
	Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
	I/O ports at fce8 [disabled] [size=8]

00:14.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86c325 [ViRGE] (rev 05) (prog-if
00 [VGA])
	Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64M]
	Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]

Here is the contents of /proc/interrupts.

            CPU0
   0:      21382          XT-PIC  timer
   1:        523          XT-PIC  keyboard
   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
   3:        677          XT-PIC  serial
   5:          7          XT-PIC  sym53c416
   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  10:          1          XT-PIC  soundblaster
  14:       1751          XT-PIC  ide0
  15:          3          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
LOC:      21345
ERR:          0

Lastly, here is the contents of /proc/ioports.

0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0070-007f : rtc
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
0213-0213 : isapnp read
0220-023f : sym53c416
0240-024f : soundblaster
02f8-02ff : serial(auto)
0300-0303 : MPU-401 UART
0376-0376 : ide1
0378-037a : parport0
037b-037f : parport0
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : bns
0620-0623 : sound driver (AWE32)
0a20-0a23 : sound driver (AWE32)
0a79-0a79 : isapnp write
0cf8-0cff : PCI conf1
0e20-0e23 : sound driver (AWE32)
fce8-fcef : PCI device 151f:0000 (TOPIC SEMICONDUCTOR Corp)
fcf0-fcff : Intel Corp. 82371SB PIIX3 IDE [Natoma/Triton II]
   fcf0-fcf7 : ide0
   fcf8-fcff : ide1

Any suggestions are welcome as to how to get this modem up and running
under Linux!