customizing Redhat firewall

Can you use ipchains to forward packets from the firewalled machine to
another machine inside your local area network?  If not, does IPtables do
it any easier.  Docs I've seen so far elude to having to go out and get
other packages and patch the kernel with them.  I'm trying to keep things
as simple as possible here at first.