Problems with Slackware.

The problem with the Speakup boot disk is that it uses a kernel with
multiprocessor support and the other kernels are single processor.  The
modules that install with Slackware assume the single processor kernels.
If you don't want to compile a new kernel, the easiest way is to copy the
modules from the contrib CD in the directory modules/2.2.19-smp over the
existing /lib/modules/2.2.19 ones.  That's what I did and then I compiled
myself a custom kernel.  Hope this helps.