numpad-insert plus numpad-enter

If I press this combination speakup announces "you turned me off"  Now to
my knowledge this is supposed to turn off speak up completely.  However
all it does is turn off the autospeaking of text or echoing of characters.
I can still review the screen with the numpad keys.  Once I press this
combination again and speakup announces "hey that's better" everything is
read completely.

So is this a bug or a feature?