good news

Hi
     It's worth noting that this patch is not needed for the latest kernels (2.4.0 and above). These later kernels have this support merged in with the kernelsource tree. Just answer Y to the HPT366 IDE chipset to include the relevant support.
         With regard to that PCTel modem, you may wish to check out:
         http://walbran.org/sean/linux/stodolsk/
         There's a pctel modem driver there for kernel 2.2.16. Not sure whether it'll work with your particular model, but it may be worth a look. There's also a version for the 2.4 kernels if you ever need it. I don't have one of these modems, so I don't know how well the driver works.