No text editing???

Let me give a tad of clarification for the new and prospective speakup
users.  Speakup allows you to have full editing capabilities, at least
as full as any text based application under gnu/Linux.

I use emacs with speakup with absolutely no difficulty and am using it
currently to write this note.  I do not use emacspeak although I under
stand it is a fine product.

Now where some folks are complaining about speakups lack is in
automatic cursor speaking.  Speakup tracks the cursor perfectly and is
pretty well always where your cursor is.  What speakup does not do is
automatically speak the line you are moving to.  It does not
automatically say the characters you are moving onto.  It does track
the cursor though.  There is an experimental mode of cursor speaking
in the cvs version of speakup which in some applications works as well
as any screen review package.  In other applications it doesn't work
so well.

I am only saying these things because it creates a false impression
that somehow speakup is inferior and it just plain isn't.  I would be
very happy to have folks help with fixing this situation of automatic
speaking.  It is not a trivial problem to do correctly.  It is also
not that high on my priority list because I have no problem writing,
coding, reading and editing with it the way it currently works.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061