CCopying the floppy's structure into an image file with Linux

Absolutely, and it's as easy as dd it. For example:
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=file.img ; sync
Rather than using dd to write it, you use dd to read it. The command at
the end, sync, tells linux to close the file buffers so nothing's left
open that shouldn't be.