I can't get the patch command to work

I need some help getting this program to patch.  I have copied the
speakup-0.09-v2.2-patch to the /usr/src and the /usr/src/linux.  And also
to the /usr/src/linux-2.2.14 directories and I still keep getting the 1
out of 1 hunks failded.  I also don't understand the following,
patch -p0 <patchdirname/patchfilename.

What the heck is the patchdirname and the patchfilename supose to be.  I
figure the patchdirname is speakup-0.09 directory and the patch filename
is speakup-0.09-v2.2-patch.
Can someone please give me an example of the patch command with directory
names and the patch file name.  I'm using Red Hat Linux 6.2 with the
2.2.14 kernel.

David