made it!

I'm going to have to get a new serial card though.  Seems siig 20x is not
a supported brand and model according to the list of supported cards in
the pcmcia howto file.  Ah, it's a Dell computer, and that company has its
problems.
They were told Linux was going to be used on this machine before I bought
it.