kernel panic on vfs:

The system stopped and couldn't load at 08:04.
I'm using the litetalk kernel and tried running on my hard drive.
This kernel panic happens down in partition check.
It comes right after hda: hda1.
The machine is a dell dimension p3 with 128mb of memory.
The disk format is fat32 on my machine.
I have a friend with a premio computer system and we tried installing
current version of zipspeak on his
computer too and he uses the acntpc driver and his machine got stopped at
the same place mine did.
My friend's hard drive is lots smaller than mine and I'm sure he uses
fat16.
Any ideas what might be going on and how to correct this situation would
really be appreciated by at least two of us.