Re: Fwd: scripts/spdxcheck.py's third-party dependencies

On Tue, Aug 10 2021 at 17:57, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 07:44:41AM +0100, Nicky Chorley wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Aug 2021, Greg KH wrote:
>>
>> > But we do not use pip to do kernel builds, so what is this going to help
>> > with?
>>
>> It's just about making people's lives easier for running the spdxcheck.py
>> script - not everyone will have the third-party libraries installed, so
>> listing them means they can be installed easily. For example:
>
> I think the most useful thing here would be to find a way to make
> spdxcheck just work without the non-standard python module.  As far
> as I can tell it uses the module only to do the recursive travesal
> of the current tree anyway, which seems rather pointless to start with.

Yes, it's just the tree traversal and it turned out to be convenient to
just use the git python bindings to avoid scanning random crap in the
source tree. It should be simple enough to make it use the output of a
subprocess running 'git ls-files'.

But python-git is packaged in most distros, so when I wrote this script
I really could not be bothered to deal with parsing subprocess output
and aside of that resolving:

  ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'git'

is not rocket science by any means.

Thanks,

        tglx