Re: Meta-question on GPL compliance of this activity

On Wed, 22 May 2019, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> Linux is not (usually) distributed with its full Git history passed along for
> the distribution ride; i.e., most Linux distribution recipients *don't*
> receive a copy to the Git repository with the copy of Linux they receive.

That's what tools are for. We can generate that list when generating the
tarball..

That has the advantage that it's matching the actual tree structure and is
not subject to bitrot. The bitrot part is important if you are worried
about this simply because there is no valid information once the list and
the file names/locations get out of sync. That's bound to happen and nobody
will ever do the whack a mole game of keeping it up to date.

Thanks,

	tglx