Re: [patch 18/25] treewide: Replace GPLv2 boilerplate/reference with SPDX - rule 43

> On May 22, 2019, at 10:28 AM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 22 May 2019, J Lovejoy wrote:
>>> On May 21, 2019, at 1:29 AM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> can you please have a look how to handle that GPL + BSD disclaimer
>>> abomination SPDX wise?
>>>

>> Yes, I have started a new list for this special version of messiness,
>> namely anything in these batches that you all are tagging as adding
>> something “extra” to the standard GPL license notice.  I’m not going to
>> start bringing this to SPDX until we have a more complete list - that way
>> we know how many variations there are, etc.
>
>> If/when we do reach out to copyright holders in these cases, I think it’d
>> be helpful to specifically ask them if they could remove the extra text
>> and confirm that the license is just plain old GPL-2.0-only or
>> GPL-2.0-or-later. From Richard’s earlier comments, Philippe’s bit of
>> research, and the copyright years in the notices from the actual files -
>> it sounds like this additional-warranty thing was in vogue a long time go
>> (and hopefully not something people think they need to do today!) - so,
>> trying to clean it up where possible would be ideal.
>
> You wish. The bulk is indeed from around 2000m but the cargo cult
> disclaimer in drivers/scsi/usf/ was newly added 7 years ago and 2 years ago
> a new file was added with the same crap copied. That kind of stuff is still
> proliferated for whatever reasons.

*sigh* yeah, I just noticed something like that as well. So much for wishes ;)

> Now coming back to the issue with disclaimers in general. We need a way to
> deal with it as there are at least two files where there is no trace of the
> company anymore. Plus GPLV3 (not relevant for the kernel, but for SPDX)
> explicitely says that you can add magic disclaimers. And of course people
> will do so.
>
> While walking the dogs I thought more about this.
>
>  1) The random disclaimer (new or old) is not necessarily forming a new
>     license as long as the GPL (version) reference is unambiguous.
>
>     It's an (for GPLv2 tolerated and for GPLv3 documented) add on.
>
>  2) With a very quick scan (not complete and accurate) I found more than
>     20 variants of disclaimers bolted on a GPLv2 reference/boilerplate.
>     I fear there are more.
>
> So it's pretty unrealistic to create 20+ disclaimer IDs or 20+ new license
> IDs for those and either of these things would just help to proliferate
> that nonsense and create yet another mess in the SPDX realm.
>
> I rather suggest to do the following:
>
>  1) Create a SPDX id 'CUSTOM_DISCLAIMER' and make the license identifier:
>
>     SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0-or-later AND CUSTOM_DISCLAIMER
>
>  2) Remove the GPL2.0 reference/boilerplate but keep the diclaimer in the
>     comment
>
>  3) Wrap the disclaimer into
>
>     DISCLAIMER_BEGIN
>
>      Random made up lawyerese
>
>     DISCLAIMER_END
>
> That gives us the following useful properties:
>
>     1) Avoid to go through the tedious process of creating disclaimer IDs
>     	or new licenses and go through all the instances of SPDX/OSI and
>     	whatever.
>
>     2) Allows to proceed with the cleanup
>
>     3) Precicely marks the custom disclaimer for compliance tools. Even a
>     	halfways trivial awk script can extract them that way.
>
> We still can go after the copyright holders who added that mess at the same
> time, but we do not depend on their willingness, availability ...
>
> Thoughts?

That’s an interesting idea…
I also am not sure there isn’t another option - once I have these variants of disclaimers collected, I’m wondering about doing a comparison to the actual disclaimer in GPL - if the variant doesn’t substantially change/add to what is there, then it may not be an issue to remove them as was originally planned. Need a bit more legal analysis there, I think.

In the meantime, I’ll raise the general observation/issue of adding disclaimers on the SPDX legal list - more lawyers there, so might be good to get some other people thinking about the general question.

And sorry if I seem to be treating this one as not urgent - I’ve got the list of files that Kate gave me to work through. And this additional-disclaimer issue is just adding on to the back of that list :)

Thanks and walking the dogs seems too be a good activity - keep it up!
;)

Thanks Thomas for all your work on this generally - if I haven’t said that recently.

Jilayne