Re: [patch 18/25] treewide: Replace GPLv2 boilerplate/reference with SPDX - rule 43

> On May 21, 2019, at 1:29 AM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 20 May 2019, Allison Randal wrote:
>
>> This one contains some BSD warranty text, but less than the previous
>> example (16/25 from first batch). Maybe hold until we decide what to do
>> with that one?
>
> Yes. I'll put it to the other pile for now.
>
> Kate, Jilayne,
>
> can you please have a look how to handle that GPL + BSD disclaimer
> abomination SPDX wise?

Hi Thomas,

Yes, I have started a new list for this special version of messiness, namely anything in these batches that you all are tagging as adding something “extra” to the standard GPL license notice.  I’m not going to start bringing this to SPDX until we have a more complete list - that way we know how many variations there are, etc.

If/when we do reach out to copyright holders in these cases, I think it’d be helpful to specifically ask them if they could remove the extra text and confirm that the license is just plain old GPL-2.0-only or GPL-2.0-or-later. From Richard’s earlier comments, Philippe’s bit of research, and the copyright years in the notices from the actual files -  it sounds like this additional-warranty thing was in vogue a long time go (and hopefully not something people think they need to do today!) - so, trying to clean it up where possible would be ideal.

Thanks
Jilayne