Re: clarification on -only and -or-later

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 10:30:07AM -0400, Allison Randal wrote:
> On 5/22/19 3:20 PM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > Yes and no. There is a good reason to remove the GPL1+ crap completely and
> > I already got permission from Redhat to change their GPL/GPL'ed notices to
> > GPL-2.0-or-later. So once we get to that pile we might at least try to talk
> > with the copyright holders and clarify it. Each odd license which gets
> > removed is a win.

If we get permission, that's great!  But given that we already have 53
files with that tag today, the odds of someone contacting all of those
owners is going to be hard :(

> We don't necessarily have to do everything in one pass. We could keep
> this round of cleanup strictly to an exact substitution of
> GPL-1.0-or-later, and do a separate pass at some point in the future to
> deprecate and remove GPL-1.0 where possible.

I would be amazed if anyone ever does a "follow-on" pass of the tree
after we finish with these, other than to add tags to files that sneak
in without them :)

thanks,

greg k-h