Re: clarification on -only and -or-later

HI Bradley,

Thanks for weighing in there. I think my original examples got a but lost in the various back and forth. So, let me reproduce and re-match:

	1) where no version is indicated, the license text of GPL (all versions) tells us what to do, " If the Program does not specify a
	version number of this License, you may choose any version ever published by the Free Software Foundation.”
	- thus, use: SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-1.0-or-later

	example:

	*  May be copied or modified under the terms of the GNU General Public License

This is what Allison and I were going back and forth on.  Net sum being: I was pointing out that under a literal reading of the license, such a unclear reference to just “GPL” would be GPL-1.0-or-later

I think this is where your point is spot on and confirms my memory of the various discussions:

> I agree that one can use GPL-1.0-or-later in this case well (which was
> discussed down thread), but I also agree with the argument (also downthread)
> that there is no *requirement* to include GPL-1.0 in the mix.  The text of
> the COPYING file (i.e., GPLv2) is clear on this point, if we have code that
> does "not specify a version number of this License, you may choose any
> version ever published by the Free Software Foundation."
>
> Jilayne and I did a pretty deep dive on this question of the 'no version
> number specified' and I think our discussions made us sure that it does
> *not* mean GPL-2.0-only, because of the text above.  I checked with
> Fontana too and he agrees with this as well.

I think what I was looking for here, was confirmation as to whether we want to do the “literal” GPL-1.0-or-later option that the license provides for, or trigger the option to “choose any version” and go with GPL-2.0-or-later for consistency of v2 across the kernel and for other reasons I believe you raised regarding GPL-1.0

Thoughts?

thanks,
Jilayne