Re: clarification on -only and -or-later

> On May 22, 2019, at 8:00 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 09:53:48AM -0400, Allison Randal wrote:

>>> I don't understand.  Can you point to any files in the kernel where we
>>> have used the "GPL-1.0+" marking incorrectly?
>>
>> Jilayne's question wasn't about current usage in the kernel, it was
>> about what we should do in this cleanup process when we get to files
>> where the license notice doesn't have an explicit GPL version number or
>> include the "or later" text. Thomas hasn't gotten to those patterns yet
>> in his batch processing.
>
> Ah, ok.
>
> But note, we have already marked such files as "GPL-1.0+" in the past,
> so any change in that behavior would require us go back and change what
> we did, showing the justification for that.
>
> I would stick to the rule of what we have already done in these cases,
> it's simpler and seems to make sense of a crazy situation.

Thanks Allison for helping to clarify and yes, if there is a pattern already, it’d be really helpful for someone to send me a few examples.
The examples you’ve seen already may not match some of the “messy files” I’m looking at, but it’d still be helpful.

thanks,
Jilayne