Re: [patch 25/25] treewide: Replace GPLv2 boilerplate/reference with SPDX - rule 100

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 8:05 AM Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   neither [alan] [cox] [nor] [cymrunet]
>   [ltd] admit liability nor provide warranty for any of this software
>   this material is provided as is and at no charge

Since some of these disclaimer statements are getting scrutinized,
this one is also notable though it is more general than the other ones
that have been called out. I think we should decide what to do about
variously-worded warranty/liability disclaimer statements in general
and consider this variety along with others. I assume SPDX previously
never considered the problem of how to deal with license notices with
various nonstandard disclaimer statements other than implicitly
treating the ones in the GNU notice as conveying nothing more than
what's already in the GPL/LGPL license texts.

For the time being I am trying to call attention to anything that
seems even slightly interestingly different from what's in the GNU
notice ("WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE").

Richard