Re: [patch 06/25] treewide: Replace GPLv2 boilerplate/reference with SPDX - rule 6

Hi Thomas and Steve!

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 1:10 PM Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 May 2019, Steve Winslow wrote:
>
> > Same comment here as for patch 16: the additional all-caps disclaimer
> > paragraph in the middle (beginning with "THIS SOFTWARE IS
> > PROVIDED...") appears to come from a BSD-style license, not GPL. I'm
> > not sure this disclaimer should be deleted and replaced by just a
> > standard GPL-2.0-or-later tag.
>
> Right. Did some archaeology. This thing seems to originate from TI, via
> RidgeRun Inc. and then proliferated by Monta Vista and others.

I did some light digging on my own and there are possibly two main
cases that I listed in [1]:

 - things that have such a disclaimer but always in the clear context
of a GPL license  such as [2]

 - things where some BSD-like license terms were removed, but the
disclaimer kept such as [3]

IMHO the first case is a non issue and is clearly GPL. The second
case may require some deeper historical review.

[1] https://github.com/nexB/scancode-toolkit/issues/1569
[2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tglx/linux-spdx.git/log/drivers/net/can/slcan.c
[3] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tglx/linux-spdx.git/commit/drivers/scsi/a100u2w.c?id=4023c4747861e8c56f46e5fa50bd4feb63fc91fc

--