Re: [patch 0/4] SPDX: First batch of patches

On 5/8/19 9:23 PM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> Yes, the scripts produce logs and of course once the patch is applied you
> can see from the diffstat which files are touched. So we have lots of ways
> to figure out what has been changed and its preserved in the git history
> forever.

Nod, but what I meant was the "wall of shame" file that the lawyers
wanted, which preserved each variant license notice text and a list of
the files that had it removed.

I thought the idea was horrible, and said so at the time, but they
aren't wrong that the GPLv2 has a requirement to "keep intact all the
notices that refer to this License". None of us managed to come up with
a better alternative than moving the notices into a doc file, with some
introductory text to say "please never do this again, just use SPDX
headers".

Though, maybe it would be better if I said nothing and allowed the whole
idea to be forgotten...

Allison