Re: sparse | upgrade to upstream v0.6.2 (!2)

On Sun, Aug 02, 2020 at 11:30:35PM +0200, Luc Van Oostenryck wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 02, 2020 at 08:18:42PM +0000, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> > Uwe Kleine-König commented on a discussion: https://salsa.debian.org/ukleinek/sparse/-/merge_requests/2#note_185155
> >
> > There is still another issue that popped up in the meantime:
> > https://bugs.debian.org/966706
>
> Hmmm, I think that a corner of my mind was silently worried it
> will happen.
>
> > The options are:
> >
> >  - add a Conflicts: biosquid
> >    (this is the ugliest option)
> >  - rename sindex to something else
> >  - convince the bioquid people to rename their sindex
> >  - stop shipping sindex
> >
> > For now I will go for "stop shipping sindex", do you have an opinion for a long-term plan?
>
> [+CC to sindex's author]
>
> Not really.
> Would it be easy to install it under the name 'sparse-sindex' or
> 'sparse-index'?
>
> One thing I would like (in some future release) is to split
> the sparse package at least in 2:
> * one with sparse itself
>   - it has no dependencies (except the libc, a compiler compatible
>     with gcc and GNU make for the build)
>   - maybe cgcc should be included in the package too (which would
>     add a dependency on perl)
> * one with the others tools
>   - but maybe it would even be better to the big ones in their
>     own packages with their own dependencies)
> But this would not really solve the problem here.

Renaming of sindex was an option for me, but since you have a plan
to split the package anyway, then I think it's better to do so. I tried to
use the libsparse.a and it looks like it works fine [1].

I spoke with Oleg Nesterov and he also does not mind moving this utility
to a separate repository.

[1] https://github.com/legionus/sindex

--
Rgrds, legion