Re: sparse | upgrade to upstream v0.6.2 (!2)

On Sun, Aug 02, 2020 at 08:18:42PM +0000, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> Uwe Kleine-König commented on a discussion: https://salsa.debian.org/ukleinek/sparse/-/merge_requests/2#note_185155
>
> There is still another issue that popped up in the meantime:
> https://bugs.debian.org/966706

Hmmm, I think that a corner of my mind was silently worried it
will happen.

> The options are:
>
>  - add a Conflicts: biosquid
>    (this is the ugliest option)
>  - rename sindex to something else
>  - convince the bioquid people to rename their sindex
>  - stop shipping sindex
>
> For now I will go for "stop shipping sindex", do you have an opinion for a long-term plan?

[+CC to sindex's author]

Not really.
Would it be easy to install it under the name 'sparse-sindex' or
'sparse-index'?

One thing I would like (in some future release) is to split
the sparse package at least in 2:
* one with sparse itself
  - it has no dependencies (except the libc, a compiler compatible
    with gcc and GNU make for the build)
  - maybe cgcc should be included in the package too (which would
    add a dependency on perl)
* one with the others tools
  - but maybe it would even be better to the big ones in their
    own packages with their own dependencies)
But this would not really solve the problem here.

-- Luc