Re: Merging Luc's master branch.

On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 11:33:52PM +0000, Ramsay Jones wrote:

> Note that I didn't get any unexpected failures - Chris mentioned
> some failures (on Linux?).

I don't remember.

> > I've quickly checked and those workarounds doesn't have
> > a negative effect on my environments, so I'm fine with
> > them and to me they can even go into to current HEAD
> > (or upcoming release 0.5.2 if Chris is fine doing one).
>
> I don't think I would apply them as-is - I've been meaning
> to install LLVM on Linux again, so I can check these things
> out for myself.

No, no. They would need at least a description and additional
verifications.

> Also, I think these are platform specific
> (maybe!). ;-)

It was what I was afraid of but they're fine on a few
linux 32 or 64bit with LLVM 3.5, 3.9, 4.0 or 5.0

> > OTOH, I would prefer to better understand what they
> > do (OK, choosing non-default method for exeception handling
> > and not using JIT) and even more why they're only needed
> > for your env (cygwin). Are you using an old version of LLVM
> > or something relatively recent like 3.8, 3.9 or 4.0+?
>
> The LLVM version is 5.0.1.
>
> I think the exception-model is specific to the cygwin (Windows)
> platform. I chanced upon that solution by noting the errors

I understood that 'sjlj' was ok for linux too while 'seh' was
only for Windows but I may be wrong.

> related to some '.seh_xxx' asm directives (Structured Exception
> Handling) and skimming the 'llc --help' output for clues.
> [Perhaps that should be the default for the cygwin build of LLVM!]

Yes, I think it would be better to have these options conditionaly
set on cygwin.

> Forcing the use of the interpreter was just a wild guess that
> paid off!
hehe :)

> I tried several things, including using an intermediate
> file rather than piping into the stdin of LLI - don't quote me,
> but I think that may have worked as well (I don't remember).
> [It may have something to do with buffering on the pipe.]
>
> In other words, I didn't investigate too much, since the LLVM
> backend is not something I'm too interested in, except for a
> general desire to keep bugs out of the project.

Same here for me.
Thanks for the info.

-- Luc