Re: ptrlist-iterator performance on one wine source file

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 6:35 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That very early inlining was actually a fairly big design decision
> originally - at some point I actually wanted to allow sparse to have

What is the reason behind it?

> inline functions act as untyped "templates" that it inlined, and that
> had their types evaluated only within the context of being used.

Sound a lot like macro then. Can it do any thing macro can not do?

> I have this memory of that actually even working to some degree at
> some point (ie you could leave arguments to inline functions untyped,
> and they would take their type from the invocation). But that may have
> been with special patches.
>
> But yes, for this particular case it's apparently a horrible choice,
> exactly because it inlines very early before any actual evaluation of
> anything.

Sounds like reason to implement inline at the instruction level.
I think it should be easier to copy instructions than AST.
I recall the inline copying of AST is very error prone, e.g. forget to
copy a member of the AST struct.

Chris