Re: make selfcheck

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 12:52 PM, Ramsay Jones
<ramsay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hmm, I don't think cgcc should be merged into sparse completely no.
> Some things from cgcc could be moved into sparse, but not everything.
> One of the main uses of cgcc is as a proxy for (g)cc. (Yes, that could
> also be moved into sparse, but why bother?)

I think the macro define etc should be merge to sparse. Right now
some kernel file compile differently because sparse missing some platform
specific macro. The last time I look at it, the coda file system has some
header file generating error in sparse.

I am thinking maybe have cgcc as symlink to sparse. If sparse
detect it is invoke from cgcc, it will do the call gcc part.

> I still have the 'intptr_t' and 'int32_t' warnings on cygwin, which I
> could solve either in cgcc or sparse (I was leaning in the direction
> of sparse, because Luc has already added some of these macros). These
> definitions would not cause any problems on the kernel (well, if they
> did, it would also be a problem with gcc!).

Right, that is my point sparse need to more of those macro to
behave more like gcc.

> However, I would not like to say whether some of the 'platform user
> space' macros would cause a problem on the kernel or not. The only
> way to know is to give it a try! (Unfortunately, due to lack of disk
> space, I have deleted my kernel git repository). :(

It is easy enough to compare for me. I can just turn a kernel check with
cgcc and see if there is any difference.

Chris