Re: [GIT PULL] patches for -rc2

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 01:03:00AM +0100, Ramsay Jones wrote:
> I decided to fetch this tonight and do a bit of light testing.

Thanks for that.

> I then ran sparse over the entire git project, as I usually do, to see if
> there were any new errors/warnings. Unfortunately, there were, which can
> be seen as follows:
>
>   $ make builtin/rev-parse.sp
>       SP builtin/rev-parse.c
>   ./git-compat-util.h:480:22: warning: crazy programmer
>   ./git-compat-util.h:480:22: warning: crazy programmer
>   ./git-compat-util.h:480:22: warning: crazy programmer
>   $
>
> I used git-bisect the find the commit responsible for the new warnings,
> the end of that session was as follows:
>
>   $ git bisect good
>   5636cd5cbf816f30ee57d580ec4debd8e0bd7581 is the first bad commit

I'm not much surprised that you see a problem with this patch
but I would have hoped that these "crazy programmer" warnings
would have gone away after a later commit, like it did for the kernel:
	(51cfbc90a "fix: kill unreachable BBs after killing a child")
It visibly doesn't.

> I tried to create a minimal reproducer, but I just couldn't reduce it at all!
>
> The warning points to the 'while' line of the skip_prefix() function in the
> git-compat-util.h header file. This is used all over the place, but it seems
> to be only complaining about its use in builtin/rev-parse.c. In particular,
> there are 16 inlined calls in the function cmd_rev_parse() alone. So I don't
> know which 3 of those inlined calls it is complaining about (the warning
> message is not much help ...).

Yes, the error message doesn't help much. It is emitted when a cycle is found
between loads, something a correct program should never have but can happen
when there is some unitilized variables that are optimized away. Here, it's
obviously a bug is sparse, though.

> That is as far as I have gone in trying to chase this down. I have to get
> some sleep now, so I thought I should let you know what I found so far. :-D

Thank you very much, it already help a lot. I'm looking at it now.

-- Luc