Re: sparse-llvm array size computation issue

Hi Linus,

On 29 March 2017 at 17:41, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Dibyendu Majumdar
> <mobile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I am trying out an approach. If a SYM_NODE has a base type of SYM_NODE
>> then which of the nodes should be used as the source for information
>> you mention?
>
> Does that actually happen? It shouldn't. A symbol node contains the C
> name of the symbol, but you should never have a SYM_NODE that points
> to another SYM_NODE, it always points to some actual type (ie ptr,
> whatever).
>
> So the rule should be that the node can have specific information
> about that particular named symbol (so: name, array size, modifiers,
> address space, initializer etc), and then the node->ctype.base_type
> should point to a non-NODE symbol describing the base type.

Okay thank you - that's good to know. It wasn't obvious to me looking
at the code, and I thought I had seen an example where a node
contained another node ... but I cannot find this now, so I may have
been mistaken.

I will add an assertion in sparse-llvm to check this - hopefully that
way if any instance occurs I will see it.

Thanks and Regards
Dibyendu