Re: suggestion for Merging LLVM

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Pulling in bits of LLVM itself into sparse, to make older versions work,
> seems like a mess of work and maintenance without a driving need.   Just
> note that 3.0 is required, and things will sort themselves out in time.

I hate big mess too. However I have a strong motivation to support the
released version of LLVM (if it does make a big mess in the process).

I am not asking to back port the LLVM 3.0 code to the 2.x series.
That is wrong.  If 2.x does not have not provide this features, I am fine
with not supporting 2.x LLVM and require 3.0 only.

However if it is just C vs C++ API, I don't mind accessing the C++ API in 2.x.
I believe we need to have a mechanism to use the LLVM C++ API any way.
The LLVM C API is only a subset of the C++ API. I draw the line at
accessing the API vs backing the LLVM code.

In the long way, sparse will have to deal with different version of
LLVM any way.

Chris