Re: suggestion for Merging LLVM

On 11/25/2011 03:05 AM, Christopher Li wrote:
On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Pekka Enberg<penberg@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I wasn't able to find out any C API for that and assume it was only
possible with the C++ API. That said, I'd also be happy to use
something else to be compatible with older versions if there is one.
Any LLVM experts on the list?

If it just need to use the C++ API, we can compile a bridge c++ file
to export the missing C++ API to C file. It is actually pretty common praticse
if you play with LLVM internal a lot, some API just don't exist in C yet.
We are already using g++ to link llvm, one more c++ file could not hurt.
If we need some C++ only API later, we can add it there as well.

What do you say?

LLVM 3.0 is going to be released "real soon now" so I don't think it's
a problem in practice. We'd need to add a version check, though so we
don't break build on machines that have older LLVM installed.

Still, it will take a while for the distribution to update to the new version.

Pulling in bits of LLVM itself into sparse, to make older versions work, seems like a mess of work and maintenance without a driving need. Just note that 3.0 is required, and things will sort themselves out in time.

	Jeff