Re: spyparse - sparse reimplemented in Python

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 20:39 -0400, Anderson Lizardo wrote:

> Some notes:
>
> - I decided to take a more pragmatic approach and start implementing
> only those functions necessary for writing a test-*.c like backend
> - For now I'm just doing a plain manual translation of the sparse C
> code to Python, thus forcing me to read the entire sparse code (which
> IMHO is a good thing for achieving reason (2))

I'm surprised that you decided to relicense your work under GPLv2.
Even though you are rewriting the code, it's still possible to argue
that the original authors have rights to the code.

It may be safer to use the original license, or you should make sure
that the copyright holders are fine with what you are doing.

> - Along the way I'm rewriting some code to become more OO-friendly
> (with classes, methods etc.), therefore while the code is not finished
> you will see a lot of mixed procedural and OO code

I think it's a good idea, because sparse should be flexible.  It should
be possible to change it for different coding standards.  A python
implementation would be good, but it would also help if you provide
detailed comments in the code.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin