Re: Sparse and the Google Summer of Code 2008

Josh,

I know, last year was not all that successful, but maybe
there will be more applications this year. I've got some
ideas about abstract interpretation for one. I can't promise
that I'll choose sparse, there should be lots of interesting
projects this year, but there are other people as well.

At least one other person has asked about Sparse and SoC, which
suggests that some interest exists.  I'll work on getting the
org forms filled out today.

If anyone else on the Sparse list has an interest in mentoring, please
let me know as soon as possible.

The ideas so far proposed are major undertakings.  The sort of
thing a summer student will only scratch the surface of.

I think it would be useful to analyze the Linux bug history,
looking for known faults and their fixes, that are currently not
detected by Sparse, but which look like they are amenable to static
detection.
If more faults are required there is always the BSD bug list.

If the existing faults were categorized it would give some idea
of the kinds of constructs that ought to be searched for.

--
Derek M. Jones                              tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                      mailto:derek@xxxxxxxxxxxx