Re: '$' as "valid" character in identifiers

Al Viro wrote:
On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 02:18:11PM +0100, Derek M Jones wrote:
And now for reality: of course if we set out to imitate the implementation
allowing $, we'd better imitate it.  The question is what to watch out
for and how to avoid buggering the tokenizer in process.
If sparse is going to imitate a VAX implementation then how $ is glued
is probably the least of the implemention worries.

I suspect that the real issue is whatever stuff Windows uses (and no,
I don't have Windows boxen either).  Anybody who wants to work on
I do not know what VC++ is doing but the Win32 API has _no_ $ in identifiers whatsoever. The code over which sparse tripped was a variable defined in an else block in the winedump utility. And that is not even a Win32 application but a pure standard C one. I sent a patch to Wine to fix that (todays commit session didn't happen yet).

From Wine point of view we do not need to handle the '$'.

code that last compiled on VAX is not going to be happy with what
sparse will say about it, anyway.  More realistic case is a codebase
with some VMS ancestry that got moved to Windows.
Wine is not supported on VMS ;)

bye
	michael
Sr. Network Engineer            Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani@xxxxxxxxxx
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart
-